 Robotics / Scout / 46
Re: Fiber-optic connection between Scout & MicroScout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.scout, lugnet.robotics.microscout, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 01:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Wes Matchett writes:
[...] only one end of the fiber has a connector.  I've
found that by slipping a pneumatic tube over the fiber's small end, both
ends are the same diameter.  The small end now fits in the half-grey
connector fairly tightly and it's centered.  If you need greater length -
use a tube the length of two fibers with the small fiber ends inserted
towards the middle.  The fibers are now joined and there is a connector at
both ends.  [...]

Hey, wow!  It turns out that the thin portions of the FO cables are the same
thickness (or virtually the same, for all practical purposes) as the inside
components of LEGO TECHNIC Flex System cables!

In other words, not only do they fit nicely inside pneumatic tubes, but they
also glide nicely inside of hollow Flex System tubes (which have become very
common in LEGO TECHNIC in past years without the inner flex cable).

Not only that, but the Fiber Optic cables even go into the tiny axial holes
within the rod portion of the Changeover Catch element:

   http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/trans/trans_2.html

The new 8002 Destroyer Droid set comes with ten Changeover Catch elements
in brown and uses them on the "spine" of the droid to fasten a thin brown
Flex System inner cable (purely decorative, but cool looking!)...

--Todd

[Followups to lugnet.technic]