 Technic / 990
989  |  991
Subject:
Roller coaster track (was RE: Fiber-optic connection between Scout & MicroScout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 02:09:39 GMT

Not only that, but the Fiber Optic cables even go into the tiny axial holes
within the rod portion of the Changeover Catch element:

   http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/trans/trans_2.html

The new 8002 Destroyer Droid set comes with ten Changeover Catch elements
in brown and uses them on the "spine" of the droid to fasten a thin brown
Flex System inner cable (purely decorative, but cool looking!)...

Wow! Is this coincidence or what? I'm trying to build a rollercoaster with Lego.
I've given up on making the track itself from Lego. Instead, I'm considering
buying some smooth but flexible plastic tubes with similar dimensions as those
ribbed Lego tubes that fit onto axles and pegs. The problem with that is that
it's very difficult to adjust the track, as you have to cut the tubes to the
exact length. Very difficult if you want to build a banked curve. K'nex has a
roller coaster set, and it is using a plastic tube with a cut along the length
of the tube. Special connectors are inserted into this cut to hold it into
place. You can just slide the connectors in the cut until everything is adjusted
right. I was thinking about that earlier today, but the only Lego part that I
could come up with to use was the "changeover catch" (see link above). I have
exactly one of them, from a Space Shuttle set. Lets see... I should be able to
buy two 8002's with 10 of these pieces for the price of one Space Shuttle on
clearance... that's an improvement of 20x! Still way to expensive...

Any other ideas? Maybe even with pictures? I once saw a picture of a Lego
rollercoaster, using pieces from the old 4.5V train system. Unfortunately,
that's not an option for me.

And what does this all have to do with Mindstorms? Well, you need to stop the
car at the right spot in the passenger loading area, unlock the safety bar, wait
for the people to get in and out, and then move it forward to the incline that
gets it on its way.

Tilman