 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 393
Re: FLL not allowing NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:19:46 GMT

Thomas Johnson wrote:
Generally speaking, how are text-based languages localized?  i.e are there
French syntax versions of NQC/c++/BASIC etc.?  Or does the syntax remain
English-based while the environment is French-based?

In general, the syntax for a computer programming language remains
constant, regardless of the nationality of the programmer.  There are
probably some exceptions to this, but from what I've seen this is the
general rule.  So, for example, if you have a German programmer writing
in C++, you have English C++ keywords interspersed with what are clearly
(to anyone who knows even the mildest smattering of German) Germanic
identifiers and variables.

This looks especially peculiar when you take an extremely verbose
language like COBOL and develop in other languages with it.   I've seen
this once amd it's actually quite funny looking.