 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 382
Re: Forth question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 11:53:52 GMT

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:09:57AM +0000, Steve morris wrote:
Ralph Hempel wrote:

I'm trying to define a constant in a compiled word.

: zzz 1 CONSTANT ONE ;

I know its not right. It tries to compile "ONE" which is not
what is wanted. What is the right way to say this?

1 CONSTANT ONE

Recall that CONSTANT is a *defining* word, just like the ":"

I still want to create a constant from within a definition. I
have an initializing word that will calculate the value of
the constant. For various reasons I can't do this calculation
except within the runtime behavior of the word.

You might want to try
: zzz   S" CONSTANT ONE" EVALUATE ;
1 zzz

This is not critical. I have since replaced the constant
with a variable that I define in advance and then set
within my word, but then I have to use variable semantics
instead of constant semantics to access the value, which is
not what I wanted. I get around that by defining a new

I think VALUE can be used for that.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Ridder - hnridder@informatik.uni-rostock.de
Universitaet Rostock - Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Informatik