 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 386
Re: grasshopper learns new tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 15:49:27 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

CREATE DOES>, VALUE and EVALUATE. Thank's guys. These
will all enhance my code. I knew about CREATE DOES>
but never really understood it. Your description
pushed me finally over the edge of basic comprehension.

Phew, it pushes most people over the edge of sanity....

Considering that it has been almost 20 years from my
first attempt you should rather say "about time."

CREATE DOES> is important to me because it is sort of a
minimalist object creator in the sense that it allows
the creation of classes of objects with custom behavior.
I'm sure that people have built oops constructs using it.
Consider a class of words used like:

<stack args> <method number> OBJECT

The method could be used in the DOES> clause of OBJECT
in a case statement to select the method behavior and
the pointer to the internal data would be right there
on the stack. Inheritance would be slightly trickier.
This is so obvious that I'm sure it has been done already.

Grasshopper made serious progress today thanks to the
sensei. :-)

But the dew is still fresh on the grass, young apprentice,
and the hot sun may yet inflict harm to you in unexpected ways...

No pain no gain :-)

Now if I could stop being distracted by toys and get on
with the pain of debugging serial port interrupts, not
to mention my day job...

Grasshopper