 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 383
382  |  384
Subject:
CONSTANTS and VALUES in pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:03:44 GMT

I still want to create a constant from within a definition. I
have an initializing word that will calculate the value of
the constant. For various reasons I can't do this calculation
except within the runtime behavior of the word.

There are a couple of things in this note. One is an introduction
to CREATE DOES> and the other is a solution to your actual problem.

Basically, what CREATE DOES> does is separate the run-time and
compile time semantics of a word. This is especially useful for
data structures like arrays. The following is an example from
Brodie's "Starting Forth", and illustrates how CONSTANT works
in the first place...

: NEW_CONST CREATE , DOES> @ ;

What this NEW_CONST does is CREATE a dictionary entry and compile
the constant value (using ",") in the following cell. That's the
compile time behaviour.

When you interpret a CREATEed word, it returns the address of the cell
following the definition, which is where it compiled the constant's
value. The @ just grabs it and puts it on the stack for you.

76 NEW_CONST TROMBONES makes a new constant with a value
of 76....

Soooo, how does this work INSIDE a definition?

This is a common enough problem that ANSI FORTH has a construct called
VALUE which Ernst alluded to. Here's how it works...

32 VALUE SILLY

Which creates a word called SILLY. The run-time semantics are like a
CONSTANT, the number 32 is placed on the stack. If you want to make
this "value" 45, just do the following...

45 TO SILLY

This works at the console AND inside a definition, cool huh?

I hope this little tutoruial has helped anyone that has run into this
issue.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>