 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 153
RE: Double echo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:02:34 GMT

Hi Ralph,

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
You generally allocate small stacks, so HAT could be modified to
FORCE the data stack to start at the boundary if allocating it
makes it across the 256 byte boundary...

Means that we will have to waste memory a lot...
Do you know how the standard LEGO firmware works? Does it allocate stack frame
for each task or may be it's not an issue at all?

There are no "tasks really, just a big loop that executes a bunch
of opcodes...I'm paraphrasing here.

The memory waste issue isn't that big a deal. The average distance
to a boundary is 128 bytes, right. Say we allocate a 32 element data
stack for a small task, which is typical. If allocating the 65 bytes of
stack puts  us through the boundary, we just ALLOC up to the boundary and
then allocate the stack.

My maze walker (unoptimized) took about 4K of space. There is PLENTY
of space left. Let's optimize HAT when we need to....

What about "4th" and standing man?

Yes, "4th" was always my favourite. Only question is how you can display it on
LCD? As I understood, our LCD with fixed matrix or not?!

We can do this. We have individual control of the LCD segments. How about:

|_| |_ |_
  | |_ | |

or something like that!

Something I wanted was to make a "vector" array that you can use
to select one of 10 programs with the "PGM" key and then RUN them...

... and use the "VIEW" key to select a sensor and see it's raw values,
or use the "PGM" key to verify and control the state of active tasks...

Yes, that's could be really great.

BTW, when do you plan to make a new release?

Probably this weekend...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>