 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 336
Re: NQC wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 03:34:37 GMT

In article <st157s0ihm5h7e68plbopfm8su57jmm0uk@4ax.com>, donc@cccd.edu wrote:

dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com (Dave Baum) wrote:

You still can't force a program change without halting tasks, but its very
possible to download 5 programs of 10 tasks each, then send the
approrpaite direct commands to select any one of the 5 'programs', and
start any subset of the 10 tasks for that program.

Okay. Is sending these commands (and which ones that are/can be
"immediate") in your book? <G> While I don not have something in mind
right this second, the more complex programs get the higher the
possibility of someone using something like this could be.
---

No, this sort of thing isn't covered in my book.  There are several ways
to send commands to the RCX.  The first is the official SDK from TLG
(spirit.ocx) which runs under Windows.  The SDK contains a reasonable
amount of documentation on the different commands available and whether
they are immediate, program, or both.

There second way is to use a utility to send a raw byte sequence to the
RCX.  There's something called 'send' that works well for Unix.  NQC can
also be used for this (with the -raw option).  When using send or NQC in
this manner you need to know what bytecodes to send.  These are pretty
well documented at Kekoa's site-  http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/

For example, to start task #2 you'd send the following:

nqc -raw 7101

'71' is the opcode for 'start task' and '01' is the second task (first
task is numbered 00).

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com