 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1811
Re: time sampling under the rcx standard OS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:54:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I have to ask what kind of value you're expecting from SENSOR_2.  The sensor will
return a distance, not a velocity, so I don't think this program will do what you
may want.

Sorry, I didn't explain. This program only aims at checking the loop frequency
capability of the rcx firmware, implementing a PWM. The rotation sensor is only
used as a potentiometer knob, allowing me to determine by hand the PWM pulse as
follows : position 0 was supposed to give 0% rate ; position 10 was supposed to
give 100% rate. It doesn't work as I wanted : I don't get 0% rate, neither 100%
rate, I guess because of a lack of time resolution.
What's more : it doesn't loop 10 times per second, as expected, but much slower.

I usually set up my BrickOS programs so they use the internal timer, and only > update the motor setting every 1 ms.

This sounds intersesting : could you explain how you set up your BrickOS
programs to use the internal timer ? Does it give the capability to loop and
sample a sensor at a given frequency (which I think I can't do within Bricxcc
under the lego firmware) ?

If you want to install BrickOS, John Hansen has some prepackaged stuff on his
Bricxcc page: http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/

As I need speed I'll switch to BrickOS, so I installed it. Now an other question
: I didn't find where to download this OS to the RCX ? Can I do this from the
Bricxcc IDE ?

Cheers,
Francois