 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1718
RE: Motor Speed Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:43:03 GMT

Actually, it's more like standing on the brakes, letting go and then
gunning the gas, stepping off the gas and standing on the brakes :-)

:)

And yes, that WILL use more gas, and more batteries. Now, if the
resolutiion of timing for the brake command was small enough to
slow the motor significantly without actually stopping it, then
we'd have something!

I'm not sure how the Swan firmware does it, but I have mine set so it cycles every 8
ms.  It's on for 0 to 8 ms, then off (brake) for the rest, depending on the speed.
That's fast enough to produce a very smooth result.  There is no visible starting &
stoping of the motor, but I'm sure the effect on batteries is the same as above.

Steve