 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1713
Re: Motor Speed Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:01:25 GMT

Has anyone done something at all similar to this?  I'm aiming at geting
smooth, slow motor speed.

You should definitely try Dick Swan's 10x firmware
(http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=22989). • ...
I experimented this, it works extremely well (minor problem: some noise in the
motors, similar to Spybot that uses the same regulation, but much less annoying
because frequency is lower. Might also wear your motors prematurely but I don't
think so).

I've been using a power/brake method (instead of power/float) for quite some time in
BrickOS.  That was one of the first big steps in getting my Legway to work.  (
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/robots/legway/ )

It allows you to program a robot to make smooth turns (slow, instead of stop, one
wheel).  I imagine it's pretty close to what Dick Swan did in his firmware.
Although I'm not sure 128 speeds are required, because 8 seems to work just fine for
me.

I've been using type of speed control in my Connect Four robot, for quick and
accurate positioning.  It uses a rotation sensor, and slows the motor as the device
approaches it destination.

I think it IS hard on the motors.  Running them at a lower power setting causes a
bad noise, and I've had two motors go bad on my Connect Four robot.  But that may be
because it's been running for like a year.

I also think this type of control will be harder on batteries.

Neither of these will stop me from using it, because it works very well.

Steve