 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1716
RE: Motor Speed Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:07:46 GMT

I also think this type of control will be harder on batteries.

The brake function (as far as I know) should not use more
battery power as the short circuit is in the driver chip itself.

The drivers are MOSFETs, so setting the H bridge to brake does
not actually apply any battery power to the motor itself...

Does that make sense?

Yes, but I think the "power" portion of the cycle will draw more, because it's
always trying to go from stop to full speed.

Like driving a car with the brakes on.  Start with the brake totally pressed, and
the more you push on the gas, the less you push on the brake, until finally, at full
speed, you're not pushing on the brake.

But, that will use more gas than the gas/float method we normally use.

Does that make sense?

Steve