 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1528
    write files —Markus Wegmann
   Hello I only want to ask if it is possible to write (extern) text files by NQC. If i check a sensor i want to write the results in a file... is that possible by NQC or wich programming language is better (and easyier) for this project? THX (21 years ago, 30-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —Chris Phillips
   (...) NQC programs run on the RCX which has no disk drive to write to, hence no file system or commands to do so. You might want to look at the Data Log feature of the RCX, which allows you to save data points (up to about 6,000 of them) such as (...) (21 years ago, 30-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —Robert Seifert
     (...) As far as I know, Brickx command centre has feature like this. Try to look at it's www page. There's also nice tutorial written by Mark Overmars - it explains how to use datalog. (...) Me too, I made a new account and it seems it's okay now.. (...) (21 years ago, 30-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —John Hansen
     (...) Surely you've used BricxCC? I thought everyone has used it... :-) A simple, yet powerful, tool you can download is my RCXTool program. (URL) posted about it a while back. (URL) can use RCXTool to upload your datalog via the following (...) (21 years ago, 30-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

         Re: write files —Chris Phillips
     (...) Now that you mention it, I surely have. But not recently, and not using the Data Log feature. I think this is what I was thinking of when I typed the words "other tools." (I'm a dinosaur when it comes to line editors vs. IDEs.) (...) when I'm (...) (21 years ago, 30-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —Dave Baum
   (...) If you just want to transfer the datalog and put it in a text file you can use the nqc command: nqc -datalog This will upload the datalog and print it to stdout. Use your shell I/O redirection to put it in a file... nqc -datalog >my.log (...) (21 years ago, 1-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —Chris Phillips
   (...) Of course. How silly of me to forget that NQC, the most influential piece of RCX software ever written, has built-in support for the datalog. I use NQC for the majority of my projects, and have found it to be the quickest way to develop RCX (...) (21 years ago, 1-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: write files —Dave Baum
   (...) I'm glad that you (and others) have found NQC to be useful. Most people don't use NQC for anything beyond compiling and downloading programs, but it has lots of options for interacting with the RCX (such as -datalog, -run, and -raw). Type "nqc (...) (21 years ago, 3-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)