 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 847
Re: OS Recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:18:33 GMT

Michael J Ash wrote:

my question is simple: which OS should I use? From what I
gather, legOS started out under Linux (or some such UNIX variant) and was

well, actually legOS wasn't ported, because legOS is an OS for the RCX.
What was ported to windows, but AFAIK mostly not by the legOS
developers, was the compiler used to build legOS, speak: gcc for the
Hitachi 8300 processor.

Additionally there are a few little utilities:
firmdl3 - the program used to upload legOS to the pc
dll     - the loader for dynamic legOS applications
makelx  - needed to create dynamic legOS applications from gcc's output
a few perl scripts, also necessary to build dynamic legOS applications

The only utility you really need is firmdl3, the dynamic loading is
optional ( but REALLY nice to have ).

Another thing that might be nice to have, is lnpd+liblnp. It is an
application and a library that allows you to communicate with RCX's
quite easily from PC applications. Currently in pre-alpha state and only
available for Linux. However, i doubt lnpd as-is will work well under an
emeulation, because it uses some realtime features of linux.

What i actually think, is:
If you can build gcc and perl on your mac (i'm quite confident this is
possible), you won't have to use another OS. It shouldn't be too hard to
port firmdl3 and dll to the mac, the only hardware dependent code is the
initialisation of the serial port.

However, if you don't want to take that effort, i'd strongly recommend
linux. It's free, it's open-source, it rocks, and it runs perfectly on
old 386 machines. (ever tried that with win9x?)

I'm just stumbling about another idea: Why don't use native linux for
the mac? AFAIK, it has become quite mature, and will exploit the full
power of your machine. Depending on the kind of mac you have, you might
want to visit one of the following sites:
http://www.linuxppc.org/
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/
http://www.mklinux.org/

--Martin