 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 845
844  |  846
Subject:
OS Recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:53:39 GMT

I got my Mindstorms this summer, and I've been subscribed to the list
since around the same time. Since then I've been playing around
extensively with NQC. I haven't attempted to make the jump to legOS so
far for two reasons. First, I have a Mac. Second, I was intimidated. :)

I somewhat solved the first problem through an emulator called VirtualPC.
I overcame the second one when trying to write some navigation code, and
finally getting too frustrated trying to work within the limits of NQC
while doing trigonometry and such things. So I think I've decided to take
the plunge.

Now, with VirtualPC, I basically have a rough equivalent of a Pentium-60
inside my Mac. Since I'm not really going to be using it for anything
beyond legOS, my question is simple: which OS should I use? From what I
gather, legOS started out under Linux (or some such UNIX variant) and was
later ported to Windows. Does it follow that the Linux version is more
current or more refined? Is there anything to recommend one x86 OS over
another when it comes to using legOS?

--
      "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above
       hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."