 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 853
Re: OS Recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:16:22 GMT

I'm just stumbling about another idea: Why don't use native linux for
the mac? AFAIK, it has become quite mature, and will exploit the full
power of your machine. Depending on the kind of mac you have, you might
want to visit one of the following sites:
http://www.linuxppc.org/
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/
http://www.mklinux.org/

An excellent idea; unfortunately, the cross-compiler (actually, I think it's
ld in the binutils) does not build correctly in LinuxPPC. ld gets all sorts of
errors about 'relocation truncated to fit.' I've had the same results with egcs
and gcc-2.95, which is making me suspect binutils & ld. Another list member had
the same problem a few months ago, with no resolution.

I'm working hard on graduating, so I'll have no time to diagnose the problem
further. I'm sure it's something silly (byte order problem?), but I'll probably
buy a $300 x86 before I get around to fixing it.

Of course, running Linux on your Mac is still a good idea. :v)