 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3910
Re: position calculating for robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:00:03 GMT

John Hambas wrote:
Thanks Thomas for your idea. The matter is that I was thinking of usingangle
sensors in order to calculate the number of the turns that each wheel has driven
(I am talking for a robot with 2 wheels). I think that some advanced maths are
required for such thing but iam not sure. Does anyone knows if lejOS ismore
powerful that BrickOS in maths? Has anyone tried something like that?

P.S. Alan from Australia, I accidentaly erased your e-mail. Contact me again.

You don't need advanced math for navigating, but sin and cos for
calculating coordinates in an X/Y coordinate system. This you need
independently from your steering system. Brickos has no math lib, but
there where some posts on this list some times ago with trigonometric
math functions.

Lejos has sin and cos and even classes for X/Y navigation with
rotationsensors, but I think, it would be interesting to try navigation with
C/C++/Brickos, just because the rotation navigator class from lejos has
bugs and the lejos project seems to be dead, so that no improvements can
be expected.

Here is a tutorial for navigation with lejos:
http://lejos.sourceforge.net/tutorial/navigation/index.html

Regards
Michael