 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2571
Re: Lingo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 09:37:51 GMT

Sorry to make so many posts here!

A mailing list without any posts isn't much use :-)

#1) In windows, why do we need to download binutils, gcc, and the scripts...
what do they all do?

gcc is the compiler, and it uses the binutils tools. The build script just
automates the several commands you would otherwise have to type.

#2) Do you need to rebuild gcc for linux also?

Yep. You need a compiler that creates h8300 code.

#3) Is there more than one cross compiler, because I have heard the term
EGCS flying around too.

EGCS was kind of a reinvention of gcc, which then became the official gcc once
it was good enough. http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#gcc

#4) Why do we need to rebuild gcc when there is:
http://h8300-hms.sourceforge.net/

If you are running an rpm-based distro of Linux, theoretically, you could use
this - but legOS doesn't make very well with gcc3 last time I checked.

#5) legOS is build using the cross H8 cross compiler that we build in the
first few steps?

Yes.

#6) User programs are built with _same_ cross compiler as legOS?

Yes.

#7) If I wanted to write my own OS for the RCX... would I use the same cross
compiler?

Yes.

#8) Do other firmware replacements use the cross compiler (leJOS for
example)?

Don't know - my total guess would be yes, for making their JVM, but not for user
programs. _This is a total guess!_

#9) What do the patches do that come with the build script?  there are two
of them....

Allow gcc to make more efficient code for the rcx  - I think. For a more
detailed answer, you need someone familiar with the deep internals of legOS.

Max.