 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2570
Re: Lingo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 20:41:18 GMT

I forgot one....  arg
#9) What do the patches do that come with the build script?  there are two
of them....

Sorry to make so many posts here!

I am a little confused by some of the lingo I see flying around... so I am
going to make a number of questions...

#1) In windows, why do we need to download binutils, gcc, and the • scripts...
what do they all do?
#2) Do you need to rebuild gcc for linux also?
#3) Is there more than one cross compiler, because I have heard the term
EGCS flying around too.
#4) Why do we need to rebuild gcc when there is:
http://h8300-hms.sourceforge.net/
#5) legOS is build using the cross H8 cross compiler that we build in the
first few steps?
#6) User programs are built with _same_ cross compiler as legOS?
#7) If I wanted to write my own OS for the RCX... would I use the same • cross
compiler?
#8) Do other firmware replacements use the cross compiler (leJOS for
example)?

I guess I am just trying to get a general feeling of how it flows • together,
and why we follow the steps that we do when setting up and building
everything required...  if anyone has a brief explanation, I would love to
hear it.

Thanks