 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2255
RE: true tcp/ip on the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:23:36 GMT

Hi :)

Just out of curiosity, check this thread from Jan/2000:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9671

mc.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Olaf
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 8:16 PM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos@lugnet.com
Subject: true tcp/ip on the RCX

I ve got the very first and only tcp/ip enabled RCX in my
room, cool, eh ?
I will make a webpage at the end of the week to make the very first
(rudimentary, but working) version available to the public.
Right now, the tcp/ip stack is compiled into the kernel and
the stack calls
the usercode itself.
The code to pass the incoming packets to the stack and to
send packets to the
pc is currently running as a simple userprogram. (*.lx).
On the pc the lnpd runs a program that acts as a gateway
between the tower
and the pc.
This gateway passes the packets coming from the tower to e.g.
192.168.0.1
and sends packets from 192.168.0.1 to the rcx.
Right now the only thing you can do is pinging the RCX.
But writing e.g. a very small webserver shouldnt be that big
a deal ;-)
Because, lnp is still alive i had to disable the sound
support to free some
RAM.
Right now i got approx. 3 KB RAM left, still enough to do a
lot of useful
stuff.
I think, the best way to fully integrate the tcp/ip-stack into the
Legos-kernel would be replacing lnp by a tiny slip-driver.
On the pc we could get rid of the lnpd.

Olaf Christ