 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 169
Re: legOS Network Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:23:00 GMT

"Jacob S. Barrett" wrote:
In a room where peple are flooding (IR Proximity-Sesor) or transmitting RCX
protocol there will be a lose of transmition reliability.  Just as with any
other physical netowrking device.  If someone is not playing the game
correctly it ain't gunna work.  The solution to this is don't play with them!
The other is to get them to agree to a stratagy of collosion avoidance.
Don't transmit if you are recieving.  If you are blocked on recieving and it
comes clear, wait some random time then try to transmit.  Very crude
collision avoidance algorithm, but I doubt that the RCX VM can even impilment
it.  So your best bet is to use this protocal to talk to legos withing your
own group that are also using LNP to perform a task.

Assuming packets without large internal gaps, we could employ a timeout
to wait
for a packet transmission of unknown protocol type to end. At 2400 bps
with 8E1 (LEGO, isn't it?), one data byte has 11 bits, so a space of
1.5*11/2400 s should
be a good indication of packet end. This evaluates to 6.875 ms, which is
well
within control of our 1 ms system timer.

Maybe this is a feasible general criterion - we need timeouts in LNP
anyway, lest an RCX whose batteries fail in mid-transmission hangs the
entire community of listeners.

As robots have considerable inertia, a legOS IR proximity sensor could
possibly get away with transmitting single bytes at certain intervals.
This should have little impact, too. By using a transmission window
(within which the exact start of the ping would be determined according
to packet status and/or delay criteria), this could become even
LNP-friendlier.

This scheme would also be useful to implement IR tower keepalive.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/