 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 131
Re: legOS Network Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:20:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Jacob S. Barrett writes:
Markus,

I have been away for the last week or so.  What have I missed in the
discussion on LNP?  I would like to get cracking on this.  I have 2 or 3
guys over here who want to get into this too.

-Jake

I too may be interested in this, although probably only the higher
level stuff ie I'm not too sure how good I'd be at interfacing with
the IR.

Anyway, I had a look around and I found some references on a protocol
layered on top of IP called RDP (Reliable Data Protocol). It provides
a message-based unreliable or reliable (toggled as necessary) service
on top of IP ie most of the advantages of TCP without all the guff.

I'm still reading through the rfc (rfc908) but one thing I've noticed
is that it needs a timer per connection. How many timers are available in
the RCX? Perhaps we could restrict the timer granularity to get more or
something like that?

The rfc is definitely worth looking at for implementation ideas. One
thing to note is that we couldn't possibly support the amount of ports
it specifies (128 or 256 if I remember correctly) since this would mean
128^2 or 256^2 possible live connections.

Anyway, who else is actively interested in this?

Mike