 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1452
  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) I don't recall for certain, but I think that those are hardware specific. You could always try changing them to see what happens :) (Anyone who is more up-to-date on the compiler magic, feel free to correct me.) (...) Unfortunately, there are (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) when i remove -O from my Makefile the kernel grew bigger, and crossed 0xb000, so i changed it accordingly, and that didn't work. so i guess there is 16k limitation for kernel and user program. (...) too bad, but there's not much to work on (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) I just have to ask why you're doing this, just for the heck of it? I mean, the output device you're writing two can hold a whopping five characters at a time. I don't really see the benefit of changing to a more complicated interface. Of (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) You can't implement a true fork() anyway, since you don't have memory management and therefore can't copy the address space of the parent process. John A. Tamplin LiveOnTheNet.COM, Inc. jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way 256/705-7007 - (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) Well, as someone else has said in this thread, if you're doing it for fun, or to learn more about memory management / file systems, etc, then got for it. But I wouldn't expect much of it to be included in the official versions - you've got to (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

Yeah. I have to agree with Ross. Increased unix-ness would be nice, but additional complexity with no actual performance gain most definitely is not. That said, like the remote patch that I'll post sometime this weekend, I'll take patches for (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) for the output device thing, the lcd isn't the only device. sensors and motors are also can be implemented as files. (...) well it's still just an idea, maybe the fork() will turn out as rfork(). doesn't really matter now. but see my other (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) But also for luis, it's not just about performance, it's about interface. of course there's always hack value, but it also might be useful. like many people would expect printf() or write() to stdout instead of cputs(). i don't think there's a (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

(...) Ok, but why? Again, if you're just having fun, go for it, but don't expect it to be useful. Personally, the current interface is simple and highly functional, and a change to a file paradigm would just make it more complicated with no benefit. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: text location for apps and q?

Hello, (...) No they don't have a separate address space. I think the limit is 19456 bytes for the kernel, and this is caused by a limitation of the ROM, which is used to download the firmware (kernel). It loads it to the address range 8000-cc00. (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)