 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1489
Re: text location for apps and q?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:38:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ross Crawford writes:

Well, as someone else has said in this thread, if you're doing it for fun, or
to learn more about memory management / file systems, etc, then got for it.
But

also for luis, it's not just about performance, it's about interface.
of course there's always hack value, but it also might be useful.
like many people would expect printf() or write() to stdout instead of
cputs(). i don't think there's a better or worse interface, but there's
a standard.

I wouldn't expect much of it to be included in the official versions - you've
got to remember we're dealing with a relatively tiny address space, and the
extra overhead in the kernel would significantly reduce the max size of user
programs / data.

of course, cmiiw, as noone has answered the text location thing, i
think they have separate address space (without protection?). so
the kernel has 16k max, and for 16k for programs. and 16k is
surprisingly large.
but i also doing some moving for some stuff from the kernel into libc.
and just to be safe, i'm using -O instead of -O2 just to get early
warning if i cross the 16k limit.

imel