 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1233
Re: EGCS and GCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:59:28 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Andy Gombos writes:
I am downloading the source for egcs 1.1.2 now. I was jsut wondering if it • made
any difference if I was compiling this, and binutils, with GCC 2.95. I know
that there are errors in it, but I did not think that this will be a problem.
Just thought I'd ask.

Andy

Andy (and others),

Note that you can now use gcc 2.95.2 to compile legOS - I posted about this
yesterday, but it seems to have got lost in the LugNet hiccup.

I saw it. Don't know if others did. I thought I replied?

The problem is not with the compiler, but with the options in the in-line
assembly code. There's a patch at
http://members.xoom.com/RoscoHead/legos/memfunc.diff

OK. I'll look at it- you said it was just a one-liner, right? Oh, OK- two
one liners :)

Note that this patch only fixes memcpy & memset - when I get a chance I'll go
through all the kernel source and see if this problem is anywhere else - it may
be that this may be causing the "random" crashes a few people have been
getting.

That would be nice if true :)

Luis, perhaps when I've checked through the rest of the code, we could look at
getting this into CVS. Might mean another update to the HOWTO as well 8?(

It will definitely need some more HOWTO updates. That's quite OK,
especially if it means we can "standardize" all the platforms on one
compiler.

As far as CVS, do you have any idea how long it'll take you to go through
everything and fix it up? I think Paolo and I were hoping to do an
official* 0.2.4 release when he got home from vacation, and it'd be great
to include these fixes in there- in fact, we'd probably both be willing to
wait for these patches if they aren't too far off into the future.

Oh, as far as the other two patches I've been sent this week- I hope to
get those into CVS tonight, guys... thanks for all the support.

TTYL-
Luis

*official, as in freshmeat announcement and the whole bit. Hopefully,
coinciding with dropping the "pre" stuff from the HOWTO.

    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."
-Ella