 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1230
Re: EGCS and GCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Andy Gombos writes:
I am downloading the source for egcs 1.1.2 now. I was jsut wondering if it • made
any difference if I was compiling this, and binutils, with GCC 2.95. I know
that there are errors in it, but I did not think that this will be a problem.
Just thought I'd ask.

Andy

Andy (and others),

Note that you can now use gcc 2.95.2 to compile legOS - I posted about this
yesterday, but it seems to have got lost in the LugNet hiccup.

The problem is not with the compiler, but with the options in the in-line
assembly code. There's a patch at
http://members.xoom.com/RoscoHead/legos/memfunc.diff

Note that this patch only fixes memcpy & memset - when I get a chance I'll go
through all the kernel source and see if this problem is anywhere else - it may
be that this may be causing the "random" crashes a few people have been
getting.

It's all to do with register usage - and egcs only worked because of luck - the
resulting of compiling the code is undefined, it just happened that egcs chose
a working result. Note also that I've tested the patch with egcs as well, and
it works, so you can continue to use egcs if you'd rather.

Luis, perhaps when I've checked through the rest of the code, we could look at
getting this into CVS. Might mean another update to the HOWTO as well 8?(

Regards,

ROSCO