 Robotics / RCX / 967
    Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Matthew Fisher
   Can the light sensor accurately distinguish between THREE colors? All the designs I've seen work with two; e.g. a brick sorter, green & red. And if so, what colors are recommended: Red, Green, Blue? Black, White, Grey? Thanks. (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Michael Gasperi
      Matthew Fisher <matthew.fisher@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:G78nAy.D0A@lugnet.com... (...) The LEGO light sensor is based on a silicon photo transistor. It really doesn't "see" the colors we do. It is sensitive to the near IR. That said, I'd (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Dave Baum
     (...) I had good luck with black, green, and yellow. You could probably substitute red or white for the yellow if you wanted. Dave (23 years ago, 17-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Ben Erwin
     I saw a 6th grade girl with a lego robot arm that could sort about 10 different lego colors using the light sensor. It was amazing. It wasn't the RCX, but the light sensor was the same. She actually brought in her pink and purple LEGOs from home (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Terry King
     Ben, did this designer use any filters? Or was this simply the response of the LED and detector in the Light Sensor? (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Ben Erwin
     I'm pretty sure there were no filters involved. This was the basic robot arm that can be built from the 9740(?) Control Lab Starter Set for the Serial Interface Box. She slightly modified it so that there were multiple bins for all of the different (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) My card reader 2 reliably reads cards built with yellow, grey and black plates ((URL) problem in brick sorters is that slight modifications of brick positions can cause more variation in reflected light than color. Take care too of specular (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Lght Sensor & Three colors? —Rune Berge
   (...) The light sensor doesn't actually "see" colors, it only distiguishes between dark and light. Therefore I have found that using different grey scales is a good way to make distinguishable "colors". Different grey scales can be made by printing (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)