 Robotics / RCX / 294
Re: Powering trains w/ RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:47:09 GMT

Consumer Affairs told me that after talking to many focus groups that they
decided it was not used and thus cut for cost savings again (standard good
corp practice)... and good for them, it seems like they need to cut some
corners to stay in business.
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Roger Hamlett writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
I just got a Mindstorms 1.5 and the RCX does *NOT* have an AC jack! So if you
plan to power the rails from a stationary location, plan on having a lot of
batteries or a rechargable battery setup...

I called LEGO Consumer Affairs and they are happy to trade it for me. But it
is on a case by case basis (standard good corp practice)...

Here are some set numbers as a reference
9719 = Mindstorm ver 1.0 (w/AC jack)
9747 = Mindstorm ver 1.5 (w/ *NO* AC jack)
9709 = RCX replacement (w/AC jack)

BTW is there any other hardware of firmware differences between 1.0 & 1.5? Is
there a way to down load a 1.5 kernal to a 1.0 RCX?
SteveB
This is the big 'down side' of the 1.5. The computers themselves are
identical, and you can run 1.5 software on the older brick. For the
educational market (dacta stuff), Lego are still supplying all the units with
the jacks. The suggestion is that the jacks have proved unreliable (possibly
from people using sources with much lower internal resistances - read big
battery packs, or DC - which puts more load on one pair of the internal diodes
than the unit was designed for). If this is the reason for the change, it
seems a pity, that a slight increase in rating couldn't be arranged, though it
is worth remembering that space is very limited. Your 1.5 software will all
run fine in the 1.0.

Best Wishes