 Robotics / RCX / 2696
RE: different output power at different ports?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:12:54 GMT

Sorry... I meant "precise hardware verification"  not precious.  I do not
the equipment to measure them.   Any suggestion, other than getting extra
hardware like a power analyzer,  for trouble shooting?  Trouble shooting is
always (well, almost always) fun...

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Mabrey
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:15 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com;
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab@lugnet.com
Subject: RE: different output power at different ports?

This might be a dumb question, but are we talking actual different
voltage levels, or different PWM duty ratios? Have you ensured that
you have set (from code) the power levels of all the ports • to be the
same?

Without any precious hardware verification, this is what I did:
- symptom: motor C was not able to make turn as well as motor A can
- troubleshooting steps:
  a) to ensure even load on both motor ports, I removed all
other attachments, and left the robot to a simple tankbot
with a single light sensor to follow slight curves in order
to make it easier to visualize the difference.
  b) at program level, both are set to be the same power
level, of course.
  c) interchange motors between port A and C, same symptom,
so the problem is not the motor itself
  d) change fresh batteries, drain the firmware, redownload
the firmware, same symptom