 Robotics / RCX / 1793
    Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Brian Bagnall
   Some of us on the leJOS mailing list were discussing auto-battery recharging with the RCX. Here's some technical thoughts from Philipe Hurbain that might be useful to others. p.s. If anyone has anything to add to this please do. -*-*-*-*-*- I think (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Stef Mientki
      (...) Yes Brian, and read my P.S. ;-) (...) This is not necessairly true. If you use the right charge method, load time less then 15 minutes, without degrading the batteries (even with positiv effect on the lifetime/capacity) is very well possible (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Horst Lehner
      Hello, (...) The only problem with that is that you will have to guarantee a max. voltage of 9 or 10 V at the RCX. I don't think usual charging circuits have a voltage limit that makes sense ... Greetings Horst (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Philippe Hurbain
     I agree that there are much faster charging methods, but the slow one has the advantage of simplicity (this was implied in the original question)... I wonder too how to design a connector with contacts that reliably carry 4 to 10 A currents and (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Stef Mientki
      (...) that's true, (if you think 1 8-pins IC + 1 Mosfet is not simple) (...) Good question, I never asked my self. But it seems no problem at all, I've very bad contacts, (you can even hear and or see them sometimes when the charge process is going (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Philippe Hurbain
      (...) For you and me, that's simple... but even procurement of parts other than plain vanilla ones may be a nightmare for someone who isn't more or less in the electronics business (At least it is here in France) (...) Thanks for the pointer. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Timothy Schroeder
     In order to protect the RCX from any type of power problems, would it make sense to disconect the RCX from the batteries first and have it run from an alternate power supply? or would this make it too complicated? I know little about electronics, is (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Lester Witter
   In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Brian Bagnall writes: <snip> Are you are talking about chagring batteries while they are in the RCX? If so, what about the heat. When the NiMh batteries are chargin in a wall-wart charger they get quite warm, wouldn't you be (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Stef Mientki
    (...) Well I may sound boring, but with reflex loading they don't get hot ! Stef Mientki (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging —Brian Bagnall
   Yes, the object is to have the RCX robot monitor its own battery charge (something available to the RCX firmware, and lejos, etc..) and then when it is consistently low to drive up to some sort of home made charging station and get a boost. The (...) (22 years ago, 26-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)