 Robotics / RCX / 1606
  Re: Power to RCX

There is a difference between a voltage regulator (which limits the maximum voltage applied to a circuit) and a rectifier (which turns AC into pulsed DC - to be smothed out by a capacitor - it also ensures that you can't connect a DC power source (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Putting a regulator in front of the motor controllers would be utter nonsense IMHO. (...) Plus the data sheet of the motor controllers. Jürgen (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Yeah!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know! (Aka "How to connect RCX for dummies" (that's what I am - electronics isn't hobby of mine) Thanks a lot! Have a nice day Rob (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Utter nonsense until you destroy the controller itself. Remember, while the Lego motors can take a fairly substantial voltage without being destroyed, the same is not true of the motor controller within the RCX. There is a voltage limit for (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Yes, but any regulator would convert power uselessly into heat, probably too much if you use a much higher voltage and draw some current. It would be better to use higher voltage motor controllers directly (if they exist). And of course this (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

Hi every one, Thanks for all your help on my previous inquiery. My other idea is, to power my newly acquired Scout with a Solar panel. The Solar panel (car battery saver) is 12V at ~70mA; which I intend to connect a Voltage converter (ready made (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)