 Robotics / RCX / 1456
Re: GP2D12 IR sensor RCX active sensor interface?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Gareth Bestor writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Rainer Balzerowski writes:
i build a interface (mutiplexer) using one input for three (ore more with
little changes) sharp GP2D12 and a 9V battery.
(Actually Michael Gasperi builds it !!!! I only made some changes !!!!)

Have a look at :
http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html

Thanks. I actually have all your stuff bookmarked already and am aware of
your 3 sensor mux :-)

What I really want is something simple - like Phillo's design - that
is plug-n-play on the RXC. Unfortanately his circuit board is a little
bigger in physical dimensions than I hoped for and I'd like to get the response
time up. Browsing around Lugnet there seems to have been several suggestions
of diodes and voltage regulators with lower voltage drops, etc, so I wanted
to see in anybody has come up with an improved circuit. For example,
http://www.techno-stuff.com/3wire.htm has a very nice small powered
sensor RCX interface brick. Has anyone tried something like this circuit
with the GP2D12?

- Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I guess the three wire solution won't work. (Not tested it myself)
The Sharp GP2D12 have a current consumption of about 35mA-50 mA (at 5V) !!!!

Michael Gasperi mentioned that an input of the RCX only give about 15mA.

(http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=14014)

The techno stuff solution only have 6mA available at its +5V power output.
(Obviously their circuit need 9mA ?!?)

So the problem is to get enough output power to drive the sharp.
(Special diodes ore voltage regulators won't help you here !)

There are two ways i can imagine to do this with an RCX (and without
external battery):

First is to charge a capacitor as Philo does !! (BTW Philo, great work !)

Second is to use an RCX output instead of an external battery.
If trying the second solution, you have to be sure to use the output with
full power, because it's power is regulated using pulse-width-modulation.

The response time of philos design depends on the time to charge the
capacitor an the setup time of the sharp itself. You can't tweak around here
I guess (philo am i right ?).

If you use Michaels more general analog interface with one input and one
output (as power supply) you have a fast plug and play solution. You only
have to be sure to connect the input-plug to an input and the output-plug to
an output. (With a 5V voltage regulator of course.)

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Rainer