 Robotics / RCX / 1454
Re: GP2D12 IR sensor RCX active sensor interface?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:12:01 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Gareth Bestor writes:
I recently acquired several Sharp GP2D12 IR distance sensors that I want to
attach to the RCX for use in the robotics course I'm teaching at Vassar
College. I found an RCX interface circuit for this sensor at
http://philohome.free.fr/sensors/gp2d12.htm

Before I go ahead and build it, I though I'd ask is anyone is aware of any
similar (simpler?) cicuits for hooking up one of these sensors to an RCX? The
GP2D12 asserts a voltage in proportion to the distance sensed, but draws more
current that the RCX normally supplies.

Ideally, is there a 'kit' I can but from somewhere with a PCB and parts that
Ican have my students solder together? (I could probbaly design a nice compact
PCB myself but I dont think I'll have time...) I've also seen various
recommendations about what diodes and voltage regulators are best to use. Has
anyone improved on Philo's design (no offense Phileppe - just checking :-)

Thanks,

- Gareth

Hi Gareth,

i build a interface (mutiplexer) using one input for three (ore more with
little changes) sharp GP2D12 and a 9V battery.
(Actually Michael Gasperi builds it !!!! I only made some changes !!!!)

Have a look at :
http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html

(or http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego more general)

The advantage of Philo's design is that it does not need external power.

The disadvantage is that it is slower (charging the capacity, waiting for
valid data coming from the sharp sensor (have a look at the data-sheet)
GP2D12 need some ten ms to produce valid data from switching it on. And
Philo's design switches it on and off every time you need data from the sharp.)

-* (Philo, do you have experiences how your cicuit affects the life time of
the sharps ??) *-

and you need one circuit for only one sharp.

If you only want to use one sharp with one input and are willing to use a
external battery, you can use Michael Gasperis more general purpose analog
interface.
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/gpa.htm
You'll only ned to add a voltage regulator for the sharp.
(That's what i did three times, plus adding the Michaels multiplexer circuit.)

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Rainer

P.S.: Sorry for the bad design of the page, it's a university page and too
much people are able to apply changes. The site will appear in a new look in
some weeks (month ?!?)