 Robotics / RCX / 1446
1445  |  1447
Subject:
GP2D12 IR sensor RCX active sensor interface?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:52:18 GMT

I recently acquired several Sharp GP2D12 IR distance sensors that I want to
attach to the RCX for use in the robotics course I'm teaching at Vassar
College. I found an RCX interface circuit for this sensor at
http://philohome.free.fr/sensors/gp2d12.htm

Before I go ahead and build it, I though I'd ask is anyone is aware of any
similar (simpler?) cicuits for hooking up one of these sensors to an RCX? The
GP2D12 asserts a voltage in proportion to the distance sensed, but draws more
current that the RCX normally supplies.

Ideally, is there a 'kit' I can but from somewhere with a PCB and parts that
Ican have my students solder together? (I could probbaly design a nice compact
PCB myself but I dont think I'll have time...) I've also seen various
recommendations about what diodes and voltage regulators are best to use. Has
anyone improved on Philo's design (no offense Phileppe - just checking :-)

Thanks,

- Gareth