 Robotics / NXT / 672
Re: Using NXT Port 4 EIA-485
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:43:43 GMT

ReHi Ralph,

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ralph Hempel wrote:
I'm using an ATMega8 as frontend processor between NXT and SD-Card.

Step1: NXT===>I2C===>ATMega8==>SPI===>SD-Card
Disadvantage: Very low speed (9600)
Step2: NXT===>EIA-485===>ATMega8/16===SPI==>SD-Card

This should work in an easy way, FAT-Support for SD-Cards is available
and running...

Great idea Christian! What kind of API do you need to make this work?

I think these might get things started:

nxt.RS485SetParam( speed, parity, databits, stopbits )
nxt.RS485SendData( string, bytes )
string = nxt.RS485GetData( bytes )
status = nxt.RS485GetStatus()

I'd like to have some address information for device number added (can be done
at a higher layer ?)... EIA-485-Hardwareconcept allows to handle more than one
target :D
ID0: Master (NXT)
ID1: SD
ID2: Camera :D

I'm open to suggestions. Do we need to set the number of bytes to
expect? Probably not.

I hope we can avoid this :D

Send and receive under interrupts and DMA, probably.

Need to read into a buffer, and keep track of TX status so we don't
flood the transmitter. • Would be nice :D

Comments?

Yes, how do you think we can add reading lua chunks into the system ? Currently
we have no lua-io routines (e.g. dofile())...
Do you know a simple way to do it today ? I'd like to start this weekend testing
io via I2C connection... slow but better as nothing ;-)

Christian