 Robotics / Micro Scout / 11
  Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

I just received some extra money and now have $110 to spend on Lego sets and pieces. I'm looking to get something new and was wondering what users thought of the DDK and how it compares to other MindStorms sets. I realize the RIS is probably the (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

(...) The DDK is a great set for parts if you find one on clearance for $50 or less. At full price I'd avoid it (since Target clearance RIS is $119 and RDS is even less). The 7 builtin programs are all useless. If you want an entry level mindstorms (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

(...) I'd second Ben's comment here...they are truely worthless, except for playing with R2D2...even then they are lame. (...) Again, I would second Ben. As to what set to buy, well, I would start by getting one with a motor in it. If you can get (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

Are these prices valid currently (the clearance ones)? Dan "Ben Jackson" <ben@ben.com> wrote in message news:Fox1Jz.2rL@lugnet.com... (...) and (...) thought (...) less. (...) even (...) want. (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

(...) The DDK is very disappointing. In my mind it marks a low-point in LEGO's consumer understanding - and the "Mindstorms" branding. The expansion sets were over-priced and under-delivered on their (our) expectations for the RIS, but the DDK is (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

The Droid developer kit certainly isnt worth it if you are a avid mindstorms user. It is desinged for younger children (officaly 9-12, but some 7 or 8 year old could do fine with it). For this it is a perfect set, easy to use and build but (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

Well, I give my thanks to you guys for sharing your honest opinion of a set. I was a bit leery of getting this set as the elements are all built-in and you are not able to rearrange anything to your liking. I've decided that for my money, I'm best (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)

  RE: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?

BTW, that's 8735, not 8375, hehe. I'm full of mistakes lately, huh? Oh, and I've decided to get 8444 Air Enforcer for its special pieces, the allure of a new set and instructions to toy with, and the Flex System which I've never had yet. Dan Huber   (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.microscout)