 Robotics / Micro Scout / 13
Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:17:56 GMT

The 7 builtin programs are all useless.
I'd second Ben's comment here...they are truely worthless, except for playing
with R2D2...even then they are lame.

If you want an entry level mindstorms set, spend that on a RDS (the scout
brick). You can still program it with NQC.  If you have an RCX or scout
already, spend that $110 on technic sets with a lot of the pieces you want.

Again, I would second Ben.  As to what set to buy, well, I would start by
getting one with a motor in it.  If you can get it for $110 (not sure) the
Barcode Reader is a much better set (and more useful!) than the DDK.  It has
lots of neat parts, lends itself well to mindstorms adaptation, and is a good
model of its own.

Other ideas: 8448 Supercar II, somewhat good for a mindstorms conversion (I
haven't done mine yet)  This set _requires_ 2 motors to power it, it is quite
chunky.  So, really you need 5 motors, although 2 (perhaps 3) can be
micromotors.

James P

James Powell