 Robotics / Micro Scout / 18
Re: Droid Developer Kit worthwhile?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:22:59 GMT

Well, I give my thanks to you guys for sharing your honest opinion of a set.
I was a bit leery of getting this set as the elements are all built-in and
you are not able to rearrange anything to your liking.

I've decided that for my money, I'm best off getting a motor kit (8375) and
some parts such as pneumatics pumps, pistons, etc., and some extra wheels
and beams/plates.  The prospect of having AI in a LEGO model sounded cool,
but since I'm more of a believer and enthusiast in "real-world" models such
as vehicular transportation, I'll stick with the more basic means of
producing movement in my sets.  Maybe next time I'll get the RDS!

Dan Huber

BTW, I apologize if I personally E-mailed anyone as I hadn't quite realized
that I was only sending it to the original sender, and not the list.  My
mistake.  I just realized that I was doing this in Outlook 98 and will be
more careful next time.

"Jason M Normand" <nugator@nugator.com> wrote in message
The Droid developer kit certainly isnt worth it if you are a avid • mindstorms
user.  It is desinged for younger children (officaly 9-12, but some 7 or 8
year old could do fine with it).  For this it is a perfect set, easy to • use
and build but interesting enough to keep them entertained for months.  It • is
also Legos way of hooking the younger generation on mindstorms before • there
even old enough for the full RIS, not to mention make even more off the • Star
Wars contracts.  Over all for some one looking for mindstorms addition • this
isnt the set.  for some one buying a first mindtorms set for a 8-10 year • old
this is perfect.

Jason M Normand

The Nugator Company
www.nugator.com

In lugnet.robotics.microscout, Dennis Clark writes:
In lugnet.robotics.microscout, Dan Huber writes:
I just received some extra money and now have $110 to spend on Lego sets • and
pieces.  I'm looking to get something new and was wondering what users • thought
of the DDK and how it compares to other MindStorms sets.  I realize the • RIS
is
probably the nicest set of them all, and rightfully so at twice the • price of
the unit of interest here.

The DDK is very disappointing.  In my mind it marks a low-point in • LEGO's
consumer understanding - and the "Mindstorms" branding.  The expansion • sets
were over-priced and under-delivered on their (our) expectations for the • RIS,
but the DDK is definately the nadir of the sets.  If it had come with the
Scout controller it would have been 500% better received!

I'm wondering what sort of things I can do with this.  What are the "7 • built-
in programs" designed to do?  How's this set as far as expansion goes? • I'm
just wondering if I'd be better off buying a motor kit (8375) and maybe • some
pneumatics to add some new motion and function to any of my sets, or • even
making new sets out of these new pieces.

What can you do with one light sensor and one motor?  Not much, and the
"7 built in programs" very nicely displays THAT fact.  The only expansion
for this set is to get a real controller like the RDS ($150) to really do
something with it.  If you really _must_ jump in now, get the "Robotics
Discovery Set" with the Scout controller, its a fun kit.  Otherwise, I • would
save my shekels and get the RIS!

have fun,
DLC