 Robotics / Handy Board / 3057
  tracking an IR beacon

Hello all - My goal: I'm trying to determine the feasibility of tracking an IR source with my Handy Board. My initial scheme calls for using two IR detectors (the ones with all the internal filters, etc, to provide a clean 5V output upon detection (...) (27 years ago, 6-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: tracking an IR beacon

I'm no electronic wizard which I think you probably would have to be to even consider what you are suggesting. Wouldn't it be simpler to just shield your sensors so that they 'look' in different directions? Have one look a little bit left and the (...) (27 years ago, 6-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: tracking an IR beacon

(...) Hmmm...mmm... welllll.. if you are planning to use the GPUI series or equiv. as your detectors.. I think you may run into problems with attempting to detect critical time information about the modulated waverform. Namely, and I'm no expert on (...) (27 years ago, 7-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: tracking an IR beacon

(...) I confirm what David is saying! Once i worked on some kind of beacon using an PLL to find its frequency (we used a lm567) and it couldn't work properly due to the response time of the PLL. An alternate solution was to replace the PLL by a (...) (27 years ago, 7-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: tracking an IR beacon

The phase difference seen by the sensors would be tiny at any practical frequency. Assume that you have the sensors a distance, D, apart and facing 'forward' on the robot. If there is a transmitting source at 90 degrees to the forward direction, the (...) (27 years ago, 8-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: tracking an IR beacon

If you want to get into _all_ the details of tracking you might see if the local library has a copy of "Tracking Multiple Targets with Examples from RADAR" published by ArTech House. This book is crammed with densely worded (and annotated with math) (...) (27 years ago, 8-Dec-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)