 Robotics / Handy Board / 3074
Re: tracking an IR beacon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:15:38 GMT

If you want to get into _all_ the details of tracking you might
see if the local library has a copy of "Tracking Multiple Targets
with Examples from RADAR" published by ArTech House. This book is
crammed with densely worded (and annotated with math) and talks
about the tracking problem, however they are interested in the
more general problem which is tracking targets that move relative
to the platform position.

For tracking a stationary beacon the interesting parameters are
"how accurate" do you need to be? If you can touch the front of
your robot to the beacon holder is that ok? Or, as is the case
some times, are you trying to triangulate your position based on
the bearing to one or more beacons?

If you are doing the former then you may find that you simply
need three detectors, mounted with one facing forward and two
adjacent, each off by a few degrees (say 15), and a bit of
collimating paper. This is sort of the line following problem
turned on its side. If only one detector sees the beacon turn
until it is the center one, then drive forward. Repeat until
done.

A technique I've used with some success was mounting the detector
into a parabolic dish (an old Solar Cigarette Lighter from Edmund
Scientific) and then mounting the assembly on the top of a servo.
This works well if you know the beacon will be at the same height
as the detector and it discriminates well against 'off axis'
noise. Its weak spot is figuring out where the target went so it
doesn't work well for moving targets.
Building a detector this way allows one to take a fairly accurate
bearing reading and to do the triangulation calculation.

--Chuck