 Robotics / Handy Board / 3065
Re: tracking an IR beacon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 18:56:59 GMT

Hmmmmmmmmmm... welllll.. if you are planning to use the GPUI series or
equiv. as your detectors.. I think you may run into problems with
attempting to detect critical time information about the modulated
waverform.  Namely, and I'm no expert on bandpass filters or PLL's
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it DOES take time for the receivers to "lock" onto
a given frequency.  This may obfuscate the very information you are
attempting to quantitize.  You may wish to, at this early juncture, use a
different receiver... one that doesn't force to trust these little magic
cubes.. and any liberties they may be taking with your signal.
                                                        -d

I confirm what David is saying! Once i worked on some kind of beacon
using an PLL to find its frequency (we used a lm567) and it couldn't
work properly due to the response time of the PLL. An alternate solution
was to replace the PLL by a band-pass filter. It's much faster...

Gael