 Robotics / Handy Board / 3064
Re: tracking an IR beacon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:52:39 GMT

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jeff Keyzer wrote:

Hello all -

My goal:
I'm trying to determine the feasibility of tracking an IR source with my
Handy Board.  My initial scheme calls for using two IR detectors (the ones
with all the internal filters, etc, to provide a clean 5V output upon
detection of a 38-40khz IR signal.)  Those two detectors would be situated
3-4 inches apart, on top of an RC servo and sonar transducer.  (To be used
for ranging.)  If the IR source delivers a 40khz signal with another square
wave modulated on top of it (much like the 6.270 board's 100/125 Hz IR
beacon routines), the difference in phase between the received signals at
each detector should give information about where the IR beacon is, with
respect to a position centered between the detectors where there will be no
phase difference.  (The phase difference would be caused by a difference in
the length of the path the IR signal takes to get to each detector.)

Hmmmmmmmmmm... welllll.. if you are planning to use the GPUI series or
equiv. as your detectors.. I think you may run into problems with
attempting to detect critical time information about the modulated
waverform.  Namely, and I'm no expert on bandpass filters or PLL's
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it DOES take time for the receivers to "lock" onto
a given frequency.  This may obfuscate the very information you are
attempting to quantitize.  You may wish to, at this early juncture, use a
different receiver... one that doesn't force to trust these little magic
cubes.. and any liberties they may be taking with your signal.
-d