 Robotics / Handy Board / 240
Re: 600 mA Limit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:22:18 GMT

So, does that mean that there is 2.4 A source from the chip and also 2.4 A in
from the L293D ground?

yes, this would be correct. Well, there would be 2.4 amps running
through the chip's power source, into the motors, and into ground.

...totaling 4.8 A runniing throught the entire chip fro
m a power dissipation standpoint?

No. Current doesn't add If it's in series, only when it's in parallel.

The reason I'm asking is because, from what you said above. It seems to me th
at running two motors is the same as running four motors. But 4 motors does mor
e work than two, no matter if they are bi-directionsl. (They only go in one dir
ection at a time.)

In the two motor case, the current goes through the chip power
supply, into the motors, back into the chip, and then to ground.

In the four motor case, the current goes through the chip power
supply, into the motors, and then straight to ground.

In both cases, each output of the chip is driving 600 milliamps.

You are correct in thinking that you get twice the "power" with the
four motor case, because you're not using two drivers per motor.

-Fred

--
This message was composed using Articulate Systems' PowerSecretary,
a Macintosh-based speech-to-text dictation system.