 Robotics / Handy Board / 231
Re: 600 mA Limit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:38:39 GMT

The 600 milliamp limit is per channel, but for a given motor, two
channels are wired in series. So you don't get 1200 milliamps per
motor but only 600.

This would still yield 1200 milliamps per chip, since there are
drivers for two motors. Also, if you used the outputs
uni-directionally, each could provide 600 milliamps, resulting in 2400
as you suggest.

I'm sure there is a separate rating on total power dissipation for the
chip as a whole. I'd have to look it up in the data book to find out
what the number is.

So the answer is, I don't know if you could get 2400 milliamps out of
the chip continuously. But in normal bi-directional motor usage, you
would only need 1200.

-Fred

--
This message was composed using Articulate Systems' PowerSecretary,
a Macintosh-based speech-to-text dictation system.

In your message you said:

I was wondering if the 600 mA limit on the motor driver chip is a limit for t
he total source current of all four motor outputs or for each individual motor
output.

If its 600 mA for each motor output,...will the chip get hot when running wit • h 4 motors, outputing 2.4 Amps?

Ericson