 Robotics / Handy Board / 1663
    Handy Board and 6 legged bots. —victor w clark
   I understand the handy board has motor drivers for wheeled applications, but what about 6 legged robots. These use 12 PWM servos. How can the handy board be used to control a 6 legged critter? (28 years ago, 13-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Handy Board and 6 legged bots. —Barry Brouillette
   Scott Edwards makes a nice board called the mini-ssc which takes a serial RS232 signal and drives 8 servos. You can chain two of these for the capability of driving 16 servos. I've used one and it works quite well and is very small and light. Cost (...) (28 years ago, 13-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Handy Board and 6 legged bots. —Stephen Michael
   I would love to be able to use serial controlled boards with the Handyboard. Given that it only has one serial port which is used for programming, won't this be a problem? (...) (28 years ago, 13-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Handy Board and 6 legged bots. —marco antonio assfalk oliveira
      Greetings, The serial port could be used after downloading the program code into memory for other purposes (such as controlling the mini-ssc board). However, I have not found any reference to RS-232C port IC commands, so one would have to build (...) (28 years ago, 13-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Handy Board and 6 legged bots. —Barry Brouillette
     (...) No problem at all. You connect two boards to the same serial line and there is a jumper on the SSC which configures it for either servos 0-7 or servos 8-15. When you send a command to set servo 15 to position 87 it "does the right thing". The (...) (28 years ago, 14-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Handyboard Serial Communications —Stephen Michael
   After parsing the Handyboard mail archive, it sounds like what I need is the SPI port. Unless someone has other advice, I'll research this path. At this point, my overall plans are to construct my 'Bot as follows: 1. Use the Handyboard for motor (...) (28 years ago, 14-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)