 Robotics / Handy Board / 1671
Re: Handyboard Serial Communications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:32:12 GMT

After parsing the Handyboard mail archive, it sounds like what I need
is the SPI port.  Unless someone has other advice, I'll research this
path.

At this point, my overall plans are to construct my 'Bot as follows:

1. Use the Handyboard for motor control, "senses", and basic/instinctive
   reflexes.  I may also distribute some of the processing work to
   (PIC or BStamp) coprocessors.  It looks like the SPI port is the best
   mechanism for networking the Handyboard and coprocessors together.

2. I would like to reserve a communications channel (for example, the
   RS232 port) for interfacing the Handyboard with a Pentium SBC (or
   a desktop PC via radio modem).  The Pentium will handle the Bot's
   higher cognitive functions and maintain a long term memory.

Since my expertise is in the area of software development, I still
have much to learn on the hardware/electronics side.  I'm attracted
to the Handyboard because it is very well documented and has a good
support channel (this distribution and the Handyboard page).

Does anyone see any major obstacles with the above plan?
Comments?

Stephen A. Michael wrote:

I would love to be able to use serial controlled boards with the
Handyboard.  Given that it only has one serial port which is used
for programming, won't this be a problem?

Barry Brouillette wrote:

Scott Edwards makes a nice board called the mini-ssc which takes a serial RS232
signal and drives 8 servos.  You can chain two of these for the capability of
driving 16 servos.  I've used one and it works quite well and is very small and
light. Cost is $44.00 + 5.00 shipping last time I checked.

Barry

Scott Edwards Electronics
964 Cactus La.
Sierra Vista, CA, 85635