 Robotics / Education / 51
Re: Lessons and Evaluation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:17:50 GMT

Howdy

...at the PCS Centers we have several approaches to this problem.

1) At the Learning Centers, and on our web version of the school (
www.edventures.com ), we use
a "badge" program. ( See http://www.edventures.com/frontend/value.html ) It is
sorta like a "boy scout"
badge system...as you complete projects you can fill in badges. As students
participate in  your class
...they build projects A, B and C. The final grade itself could be based on this
series of projects.

2) With our Academy of Engineering Labs, we use a portfolio system, where each
project is documented
with a digital camera and posted on the web. This is similar to the badge system (
there is a series of projects ),
with the addition of evalutions ( students are assessed at having mastered, being
proficient or not proficient with
a project ), journaling and written assignments, and specific work ( calculating
gear ratios etc ) being assigned.
This creates a body of information that can be referenced for your class grades and
standards alignment.

Having a digital portfolio at hand will answer parental questions! ( "What has
Billy been doing in this class?"
"Well, let's pull it up...lesseee he built this gear train, here you can see he has
put together this conveyor belt,
here is his entry for the hill contest...)

3) I have worked with many different school districts...we make a habit of
pretesting and postesting on
specific information presented in the classes/camps ( "How many teeth does a worm
gear have" etc ).

I think you can mesh ( heh heh engineering humor there ) elements of these
suggestions with your current
"events."

I would also suggest involving your administration as much as possible. For
example, at the GT Program in
Mt Home Idaho, the students built a robot that was able to hand the principal a
soda pop. It was an awesome
experience...and of course once the administrator is involved they appreciate the
value of the "event" lessons.

Please keep me informed as to your progress! Thanks.

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com
www.weirdrichard.com

Kevin Barnard wrote:

..... HOWEVER, many parents and administrators
want a more formal evaluation than the simple rubrics I use, based on time  on
task, (concrete) and effort and ingenuity (subjective). Do any of you have
suggestions, as well as any lessons you would like to share. I don't have
"lessons" often, but I have "events"..... the kids try to make the fastest car
or have a "tractor pull" where the contestants commpete against each other. I
teach at a school where most kids have never played with legos before.

I also am trying to come up with a 3 year progression of lego, for 6th thru 8th
grades.