 Robotics / Education / 47
Re: Lessons and Evaluation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:54:21 GMT

I am not a teacher, I just pretend to have a clue on the internet. ;)

One thing that popped into my mind is that you might want to make your own
ideal model ahead of time, noting its features and capabilities, strengths and
weaknesses/flaws. You could then assign points, a weighting, to each
feature/capability or flaw. You could evaluate the students' creations by
giving them points for each feature they implemented, maybe half again points
for things you didn't think of, and subtract points from that for each flaw
they didn't address, and half again for ones they introduced into the system.

So, in short, it would be something like this, where "points" is your own
evaluation of how much each feature or flaw matters:

  original solutions, advanced features: 1.5*points
  solutions or features: 1*points
  non-implemented solution, or non-present flaw: 0*points
  known flaw, not solved: -1*points
  original flaw introduced, catastrophic failures: -1.5*points

For the sake of creating an actual grade on the A-F scale, I'd start out at
about 76 points or so, giving each student a middle 'C', the average grade.