 Robotics / Education / 50
Re: Robocup with Mindstorm/ legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 10:42:12 GMT

Hello Thorsten,

I am working at the university of Bonn, Germany, and we're currently thinking
about using MINDSTORM and legOS to teach younger students about robotics.

you can get some inspiration for example at:

   http://www.mit.edu:8001/activities/6.270/home.html
   http://www-scf.usc.edu/~csci445/
   http://legolab.daimi.au.dk/
   http://ldaps.ivv.nasa.gov/Curriculum/legoengineering.html
   http://www-ece.rice.edu/Courses/201/
   http://fy.chalmers.se/~nordin/autonomousagents/
   http://www.mil.ufl.edu/imdl/
   http://www.indiana.edu/~legobots/index.html
   http://www.eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/
   http://gozer.sunyit.edu/classes/CSC490/csc490.html
   http://www.cse.nd.edu/~lego/
   http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/lego/
   http://www.pitsco-legodacta-store.com/catalog.cfm (ROBOLAB Curriculum)
   http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/graphics/index.html
   http://www.usfirst.org/
   http://mainline.brynmawr.edu/Robots/ResourceKit/
   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/robotics.html

We wonder if there is a possibility to do (some kind of) robocup with
MINDSTORM. Has anyboby ever thought about that?

Last summer at IJCAI in Stockholm, there was a special category at the ROBOCUP.
It was for small kids and prepared by Henrik Lund's LEGO Lab in Aarhus...

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~hhl/RoboCupJr/RoboCupJr_report.html

it seems that RoboCup jr. will be with Khepera robots this year, but
I'm sure Henrik has some plans with Mindstorms too...

don't know if it is possible to send the position
information computed by a camera connected to a LINUX PC to let's say 10 (6)
MINDSTORM robots? That would mean that the PC can continously communicate
with the robots via IR and it can be garanteed that the robots receive their
coded position (at least most of the time).

yes. not only that, you can have the main computation going on the workstation
and send only simple navigational commands down to robots through the IR
tower, similar to a small size RoboCup league.

Pavel.