 Robotics / 9831
Re: 2 Motors -> 1 axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 02:47:58 GMT

Now if I could just figure out how to stiffen the axle torsionally. I
need a wide base for stability, but the long axle means that the wheels
aren't locked together very well, there's lots of springy torsional
wiggle between them, which twists my bot around a lot when it's whipping
the wheels back and forth.

One way to make the axle stiff is to use mutiple axles. For example, get
one long axle and four equal length shorter axles. Use the four shorter
axles to join two of the largest gears together, using the axle shaped
holes that are off-center on the gear. Then put the long axle through
the gears so that it protrudes on either side. Build two such assemblies
and mount the differential between them (be sure to have some support on
both sides of the differential, as well as at the outer end of the
axle). Drive the axle from one of the large gears on each side of the
differential or on each end of the axle, whichever is convenient.

alex